THE AFRICAN STUDIES & RESEARCH FORUM (ASRF)
25th ANNUAL CONFERENCE
June 23-25, 2022
African Studies & Research Forum (ASRF)
The 25th Annual Conference
June 23-25, 2022
African Methodist Episcopal University
Monrovia- Liberia, West Africa
Theme: Africa during times of challenges, transition and Change.
The 25th annual conference of the African Studies and Research Forum (ASRF) invites participants to submit and present papers and round tables on a wide range of evolving challenges and transition facing the African continent in the 21ST Century. African states are foregrounded with several social, economic, and political challenges, such as the COVID – 19 Pandemic, Food Security, declining infrastructures, national and sub regional insecurity, migration problems, and the continuous role of major powers in Africa. The foregoing challenges have further depended the fragility of African states and have raised questions of how one should better examine these challenges in the post-colonial context. The broadness of the thematic focus of this conference allows for presentation of papers, organization of round- tables by academics and development practitioners that will enable country -based case studies, empirical studies and interdisciplinary research work. The following are some of the themes and emerging issues to be addressed at the conference:
- Food Security and the Global Pandemic
- Conflict and Politics
- Beyond Covid-19, Emerging Scientific innovations, and Multi-Sectoral Advancement in Africa
- Healthcare Delivery System and Infrastructure
- Education, Literacy, and Development
- Gender, Masculinity, and Identity – a regional and continental response
- The SDG and the Challenges of Development in Africa– by 2030
- Africa and Debt Crisis in the New Millennium
- The role of Non-State Actors and Development
- State Formations and State Fragilities
- Migration and Development
The conference seeks to bring together researchers, academics, advocates, artists and film-makers from across Africa, the Diaspora and around the world. In keeping with the spirit of diversity, we welcome abstracts for individual papers and roundtables that engage with various theoretical and methodological perspectives, topical issues, and policy-oriented solutions related to the conference’s theme.
- Presentation title (15-word limit)
- Author(s) Full name(s) and contact information of principal presenter: affiliation, telephone number, mailing address, E-mail address. All return correspondence will be to this individual only.
- Full names, affiliations, and E-mail addresses of co-presenters (if any).
- Abstract (200-word limit for individual papers). An abstract should provide an extended description of the presentation for committee review.
- Presentation Summary (50-word limit): A brief description to be included in the conference program.
- Abstracts should be prepared for anonymous review (no reference to the author or the author’s home institution in the abstract).
To maximize participation opportunities at ASRF 2022, each individual scholar is allowed two single-authored contributions and one co-authored contribution (Presenting a paper, organizing a roundtable, and serving as a panel chair or discussant or as a roundtable moderator or participant each count as one contribution.)
- Papers should be formal presentations that draw on theories and approaches of one or more topics related to the conference’s theme.
- Individual papers will be presented within a 15-minute period, plus 15 minutes for discussion.
- Each panel should have a Chair and a Discussant.
- consists of four (4) participants plus one Convener/Moderator.
- involves the presentation of four oral presentations on a topic related to the conference’s theme, followed by a structured discussion of these presentations.
- Is typically scheduled for one-and-a-half hour blocks.
- expected to make a 15-minutes presentation, followed by the Moderator’s comments and a general discussion (20 minutes), for a total time of 95 minutes
- Conveners should submit the title of the roundtable as well as the name/title/institutional affiliation of each participant and the title of their presentation
Review criteria include promise of an original and thoughtful contribution to the study of Africa; clarity and evidence of a well-organized, engaging presentation; and relevance to the ASRF 2022 theme. For roundtables, criteria also include topic relevance, as well as a clearly planned schedule of activities, with an appropriate amount of time for discussion and audience participation.
Conference attendees are encouraged to volunteer for the following roles:
- Panel Chair
- Panel Discussant
- Roundtable Participant
- Roundtable Convener
How to Submit Abstract(s)
Please send your panel/roundtable proposals and panel/paper abstract(s) to: Oritsejafor, Emmanuel or Appiah-Boateng Sabina as an E-mail attachment with a short note indicating your interest and the title ASRF Conference 2022 Paper Abstract/Roundtable on the subject line to the following E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
The new abstract submission deadline is May 1, 2022. Early submissions are strongly encouraged.
Conference Registration: The registration fee is as follows:
Professionals (Developed Countries): $100.00
Students (Developed Countries): $50.00
Professionals (Developing Countries):$50.00
Students (Developing Countries): $25.00
INFORMATION FOR HOTELS AND GROUND TRANSPORTATION
|Hotel Name:||Rates (USD):||Contact Info:||Discount Code:|
|Bella Casa||Jr. Suites $140.00 Deluxe $110.00 Guest $85.00||www.bellacasaliberia.com +231-777-692-272 +231-770-614-7876||AMEU2022|
|Royal Grand Hotel||Standard Deluxe $185 Double Deluxe $300 Deluxe Suite $500 Presidential Suite $800 Small Hotel $75||www.royalgrandhotel.com +231-555-777-888 +231-770-777-893 email@example.com||AMEU|
|Boulevard Palace Corina Hotel||Standard $120 Standard Double $150 Deluxe $200 Executive Suite $400 Presidential $1000 Standard Room: $75.00/night||https://www.boulevardpalacelib.com/ +231-880-880-444 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: +23-88-653-8583 +231-77-753-8583||AMEU AMEU: DR. KONNEH & MS. CAREY|
Roberts International Airport to Hotels in Monrovia: $60.00 Round-trip per person. The rate is reduced for three or more persons.
All requests and questions regarding the logistics for the conference should be directed to Augustine Konneh, Dean of the Graduate School, African Methodist Episcopal University (AMEU) and Chair of the Conference Local Arrangements Committee at email address: email@example.com and telephone number: +231-77-540-3520.
CONFERENCE REGISTRATION INFORMATION
Professional (Developed Countries): $100.00
Student (Developed Countries): $ 50.00
Professional (Developing Country): $ 50.00
Student (Developing Country): $ 25.00
Clicking the link will take you to the Registration Portal. Click on the icon Tickets to Register:
June 1, 2022: Deadline for all Presenters to register, in order to be included in the Final Program. However, any presenter, who has difficulty registering and paying online, should notify Emmanuel Oritsejafor, Program Co-Chair. In such a case, the presenter will be permitted to register at the Conference.
June 15, 2022: Deadline for all Participants (Non-Presenters) to register for the Conference. This is important for getting the Final “Head Count” for the